Thursday, March 20, 2014

Life Lately

So, I have seen these Life Lately posts going around Blogger, so I thought I would give it a try.

Watching- Videos from Lutheran Satire on Youtube. If you haven't watched any of their videos, you should go do that right now. I especially recommend this one. And once you have watched that one, go watch this one. The second video is when technology tries to dissect the fake accents of cartoon characters and in trying fails miserably. :) Warning, this may result in you randomly yelling "Equal in Glory, and Coequal in Majesty!", or maybe that's just what happens in my family.

Reading- Broken: 7 "Christian" Rules That Every Christian Ought to Break as Often as Possible by Jonathan Fisk and The Real Lincoln by Thomas J. Dilorenzo. I have been wanting to read Broken for a while and now we actually have a copy to read. The Real Lincoln is about the lies that we are taught in history classes and books about how Lincoln ended the Civil War and emancipated slaves. But actually, the opposite is true, that he started the war and didn't want anything to do with them except to remove them to another country.

Capturing- The stars in the form of a photograph. I don't have the pictures downloaded yet but I set my camera on a tripod last night and took some pictures. This particular venture in night photography produces much better results than last time I attempted it, since this time I know more about my camera and actually set up the tripod. It's amazing how much more stable the camera stays when you let something besides your hands prop it up! I was too lazy to get it out last time, but I will definitely be using it more in the future. :)

Listening- Song of the Lonely Mountain and I See Fire from The Hobbit soundtracks and the audiobook version of The Children of Hurin. Otherwise, just whatever anyone else happens to be playing or listening to on the radio.

Predicting- March Madness brackets. And failing miserably because I decided to fill the bracket out based entirely on which team's uniform colors I like the best because I really don't know much about how any other teams besides Iowa State are doing. If you give Morgan a NCAA bracket, this is what happens.
And then there's Middle Earth Madness, which I actually care about and can pick between characters using criteria other than the colors that they are wearing. I love that Radagast's bunny sled made it onto the bracket! I mean, they might not get very far, but I'd like to see them try!

Anticipating- The publication of Tolkien's translation of Beowulf. I have read a translation by a different person, but I will probably have to read this version just because it is by Tolkien. I was looking Facebook earlier and noticed that J. R. R. Tolkien was trending, so of course I had to see why because it's not every day that Tolkien is trending on Facebook.

Preparing- Getting ready for Tolkien Reading Day on March 25. This also happens to be on one of the days that we have Homeschool Choir practice, so I will probably be wearing my Hobbit shirt and Tolkien quote necklace to practice in addition to reading one of Tolkien's works. Also in the works are plans for a photoshoot in our costumes and maybe even some Middle Earth themed food.

Eating- Not really anything special, but Grace is making cinnamon rolls right now. :)

What have you been up to lately? Are you planning anything for Tolkien Reading Day?

Morgan


1 comment:

  1. It's always extremely difficult for me to convince my lazy self to use a tripod but my photos turn out so much better when I do. You would think I would learn :)
    And I CAN'T WAIT FOR THE BEOWULF BOOK! Beowulf has been one of my favorites for a long time and now that we get a translation by Tolkien...! I might just die of excitement before it even comes out :)

    ReplyDelete