Sunday, February 23, 2014

4 Things I Have Learned From The Olympics

Since they end today, I thought I would write a post about some things I have learned during the Olympics. In no particular order:

1. The Opening Ceremony reminds me of scenes from the Hunger Games and Vladimir Putin reminds me of President Snow.
Did anyone else feel this way? I was thinking about the similarities and decided to see if anyone else felt the same way. Evidently they do.
And then there's this, which doesn't have anything to do with the opening ceremony and it's similarities, but is another similarity that I wouldn't have thought of.

2. If you are good enough at a sport, it will be entertaining for people to watch. 
I don't follow any olympic sports outside of the Olympics, but during the Games, I watch what happens to be on or record some things, like figure skating, and watch them later. I may not be into sports, but these athletes do a pretty good job of making their sports fun to watch.
You wouldn't think that figure skating would be that exciting to watch and that you can watch it while working on something else at the same time, but I tried this and the more exciting parts of the performance happen while I'm not really paying attention and they happen so fast that I miss them.

3. The athletes don't always win like they had planned, but they don't let that slow them down.
We may get discouraged when something doesn't go the way we had planned, but these athletes
have put much more into their sport and the Olympics than we have put into whatever we feel like we have failed at. They might not do as well as they had hoped, but they don't let that stop them; they get right back onto the hill or the rink or wherever it might be and keep working so that they can do better next time. I know, there are some athletes who are completely devastated because they won't be able to try and "redeem" themselves in the 2018 Olympics because they will be retiring, but for the most part, they get right back up and try again.

4. Ice skaters must lack the ability to become dizzy.  
I mean, how else can you spin that fast for that long and just stop and go back to your routine with our falling over after spinning like that?

Have you learned anything/noticed anything interesting about the Olympics?

Morgan


No comments:

Post a Comment